Monday, March 23, 2015

Weekend Warrior: What Does it Mean to You?

Most people I know, look forward to the weekends.  It's a time of relaxation and family fun.
However, when you have a husband that basically works in the retail world, there is no such thing as a normal weekend.  Heck, there's no such thing as a regular work week.
Weekends in our house means the kids pitch in and help me out getting housework done.  Chores that have been neglected get finished up.  Shopping trips get done.
This past weekend we pretty much did the usual:  sorted, washed, dried, and put away laundry, and did some cooking.
Sunday I didn't feel very good, and the boys wanted to spend time with their grandmother, so they left me alone to nap all day.
However, the work I got done this weekend was awesome.  Since my husband brought home several family packs of chicken leg quarters that were on sale, I decided to use one of them to make up a wonderful huge batch of West African Chicken.  This is a fantastic recipe I got from a neighbor, as part of her wedding gift to me.  It is truly yummy, and freezes great.  I always make way more than I need to for one meal, because once it is in the pot, the cooking is the same, and it makes a fabulous freezer meal.

WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN  from Joan H.

2 Tablespoons oil (I used olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
1 4 oz can of chopped green chiles
1 16 oz can of chopped tomatoes with liquid
1 chicken flavored bouillon cube
1/4 teaspoon EACH:  salt, ground ginger, and ground red pepper
1  Cup chunky peanut butter (I used smooth, because that's what I had)
6 chicken thighs (or drumsticks)


Saute onion in oil.  Add chicken and everything else, except peanut butter to pan.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer until chicken is done (when it gets up to around 165F with a meat thermometer).  Remove chicken, debone, remove the skin, and shred the meat.  Stir in peanut butter until smooth.  Add chicken back into sauce, stir well.  Heat through.  Serve with rice.

While it's cooking:

I can only say I wish the computer had Smellovision.  It smells WONDERFUL.  I can't wait to try it.


I removed the chicken to add the peanut butter.  Yum.


The chicken and the sauce.



We were all members of the clean plate club tonight.  And look at the smile in the second picture.  It was a HIT!


No comments:

Post a Comment