Friday, April 3, 2015

Holiday Traditions: Easter

"Easter is coming... The goose is getting fat...Please to put a penny in the old man's hat...."
Wait.  That's not right... Sorry.  Lost my head in the holiday confusion again.
I love Easter.  I love the fact that spring weather is right around the corner, that everything is just starting to turn green, the weather is starting to warm up.  It's just awesome.
Holidays always make me think of traditions, and how they are carried forward from generation to generation, and how each generation changes or adds to holiday traditions.
Here at the Landow house, we will start tonight by dying the requisite Easter Eggs, a messy and fun tradition.  We don't go crazy and color with food coloring, or all natural dyes, or anything like that.  I'm a traditionalist.  I like the PAAS egg dying kits that I grew up with, and now my kids are growing up with.  We still manage to get pretty creative with them.


When Sunday morning rolls around this year, the Easter Egg hunt at our house will probably be pretty small.  I'll be having to take pictures of both boys searching and finding eggs, since my husband couldn't get the day off from work.  Their Easter baskets will be the same baskets that they have used for the last eight Easters.  Small, yes, but so very precious to us, because they were made by my dad.  This year, instead of using the highly annoying plastic Easter grass that winds up getting everywhere, (who's still finding pine needles from their Christmas tree in weird spots?  Be honest....)  I'm going to line the baskets with a bright, cheery piece of fabric. 
See?  A new tradition will be born.

After the egg hunt at our house, we will meet my mom at church, for Easter Mass, another tradition that dates back generations.  The parish we attend might change, but the ritual of dressing up and celebrating Easter at Mass doesn't.  After Mass there will be another egg hunt, with all the children from the parish.  They do this every year, rain or shine, and it gives the kids the opportunity to burn off a little of the sugar they have consumed. 
Then it's over to my mom's house.  This year, we're probably having brisket for dinner, instead of the usual (dare I say, traditional?) ham. And that's okay.  It might not be perfect for some, but for us?  It is perfect.  Perfectly wonderful.
I hope this Easter brings you all lots of blessings, lots of peace, and lots of joy.  And lots of perfection that is perfect JUST FOR YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment