Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Treating Yourself On A Time and Money Budget

We all need to treat ourselves once in awhile, and take a little time for ourselves to relax, unwind, and make us a better worker, parent, significant other, and most of all, person.  I know a lot of people think that "treating yourself" or "taking time for yourself"  means a trip to the spa, or getting a mani/pedi or having something done for them.  It generally involves spending some amount of money and a largish chunk of time.  I prefer to not do this when taking a little time for myself.  I take little breaks, throughout the day to reconnect with myself, and relax a little bit.

Here are my top five ways I take a little "me" time throughout the day!
1)  I have free games on my tablet and that I have downloaded onto my desktop.  I allow myself little 5-10 minute intervals throughout the day, generally after accomplishing some task to play. 

2)  If a computer game doesn't sound relaxing enough at that time, I'll read.  I will read for 10-15 minutes.  Something relaxing.  Something that will take me away from the stress of whatever I am having to deal with at that moment.  My favorite place to get books is the library, of course.  Free books, that I can keep for several weeks, and enjoy at my leisure.  

3)  Create something.  I am an artist.  Just because I don't sell my works anymore, doesn't mean I stopped creating.   And I'm finding it MUCH more relaxing now that I'm not continually thinking "Is this going to sell?"  I can spend an hour or so painting or sketching or playing with beads, or "smooshing" polymer clay, free from the constrictions of the idea that it has to be "perfect".

4)  I crochet.  I'm one of those crocheters (hooker, if you will)  that loves to do it as a hobby.  And I always have multiple projects going at once.  Currently, I have several sets of baby booties, a couple of shawls, and several scarves that I am working on.  What do I do with these when I am done?  I donate them.  There are many organizations that love to receive hand crafted items, and are always in need of them.  It makes me feel good to do this.  I can't always donate time when they need it, and I can't really donate large sums of money, but I can donate my art.  It's a win-win situation all around.

5)  I try something new.  This summer, I'm going to try my hand at gardening.  My mother and I have rented on plot at our local community garden, and are going to try our hand at it.

So, what do you do to help yourself relax, or give yourself some time alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment