Monday, March 9, 2015

Everything Old is New Again

When living on a restricted budget, and in a very small house, the search for attractive storage is almost continual.  Especially when one is an avid rabid reader.  Books accumulate.  Stuff accumulates.  And even if this stuff is used on a weekly basis, it still needs to be stored somewhere.

Have you priced furniture lately?  It's expensive.  Even trying to buy used furniture can add up.

I'm always trying to figure out ways to redecorate on the cheap.

I had these two great pieces that I acquired from my mom. Two sets of drawers with hutches on top.


Initially, I had them in my dining room.  The hutches made a nice display for things that I used every day, or at least every week.  But they were too small for what I wanted.  My cookbooks didn't fit on them, either.  I wanted something a little more all inclusive.  


After examining the bookshelves in my living room, I realized that this one that I had painted in lovely pastel shades.  I cleared all the books off it, and cleaned it up a bit.  I switched the sets and it became an excellent exchange.  

I'm now looking into exchanging the set of cabinets and drawers just to the left of the bookshelf into the playroom/man cave/guest room.  There's another bookshelf in there, and since it matches the one that is in the dining room, it would be much better in there.  It would offer storage space for some of my appliances (toaster oven, yogurt maker, blender, things like that), and will make life a little more convenient.  

Because I have managed to organize things a little better, I might be able to swing getting a worktable for things like my bread maker and mixer.  

This is what life is all about.  Compromises and simplicity.



1 comment: