Saturday, December 19, 2015

15 Minutes

So.... I'm trying something new (as always).

Over the past couple of months I have come to, once again, truly fall in love with Writing.  Of course, as with any relationship, we have our ups and downs.  There are days we go without speaking to each other.  There are times where we aggravate each other to no end.  I sometimes want to kick Writing out of my life forever.

I actually thought I had.  I thought I had kicked Writing to the curb, after many years in school, and doing almost nothing but writing.  (A Bachelors in History requires a LOT of writing.)

Now I'm having to come at it from a completely different angle.  When I was in school, I didn't have kids, and I was single.  It was so much easier then.

Now I have kids, a husband, a house, and everything that entails, which is a LOT.  A lot of responsibility, a lot fitting things in.

So, now that I have taken upon this new career as a ghostwriter, I'm trying to fit something new and different into my already hectic schedule.  It hasn't been working so great.  I hadn't been able to find the balance needed to accomplish everything, until I read this really great article.  And now, I'm actually trying it.

At first, I thought "Oh cripes.  What am I going to write about in my blog for 15 mins?"  Well, since I'm trying a new schedule, I can certainly write about that, right?  Yeah.  

I'll admit it, I was going to start yesterday.

That didn't go quite as I had planned it, but what does these days?

I slept through my alarm, woke up late, had to get the kids ready for school with barely enough coffee in me to get my eyes open.  So, the whole "get up, get dressed, and write for 15 minutes" was SERIOUSLY not going to happen.

My breakfast was nonexistent. I know I was busy doing something when I should have been eating breakfast, but I can't remember what it was.

And then, instead of spending a day toiling away in front of a computer screen, I spent the at my kids' school, helping out at the Christmas party, which was a lot of fun, but really productive, writing-wise.

And then the nap monster attacked me when got home.  And then household chores took over once I woke up.

But you know what?  I'm not beating myself up over it.  I figured all I could do is try again.

So here I am, on a Saturday morning, when I could be sleeping in.  Instead I'm trying to get myself on a productive schedule.  We'll see how it works.

If I can spend 15 minutes every morning writing in this here blog, though, I think I'll be making a good start.

Will the schedule listed in the above article work for me?  Who knows?  But I'm willing to try, and work with it until it is perfect for me and my family.

Until tomorrow, keep it imperfectly perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment